Monday, September 15, 2008

Outsider Identity


I started thinking about my own nationality and national identity while doing the Location Exercise and thinking about question 8. I don't really have a comprehensive feeling or idea about my nationality. I am Indian,yes, but I was brought up in a Western education system, I listen to English music, I know much more about American politics than Indian politics. Does that make me less Indian? I don't believe so. I know where I come from but, given my fortunate upbringing and opportunities to travel, my national identity is a little more complex than pointing at a place on the map. (And a hell of a lot more complex than the moronic term 'Global Citizen')

I definitely don't feel American and I'm reminded of that often. Coming to the U.S/Macalester did not really make me aware of being Indian per se but much more aware of being an outsider. Even in the comfort of friends, this reminder imposes itself. I could recount many incidents where some cultural/historical reference is made and upon my questioning I receive the typical shocked reply of "OMG!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT/WHO 'X'(pork rinds, for example) IS/ARE?!?!?!?!?!?!" followed by laughter. Ask any international student at Macalester, this happens ALL the time, with people you've just met or close friends you've made. They aren't making fun of me or chastising me for not knowing who Betty Crocker is, but it's the representation of the over-arching expectation that I should know. I see it as an almost subconscious aura of assimilation, or an expectation of assimilation that is so deep that it even effects the bright "progressive" liberal-collegiate minds, such as the one sitting next to you.

No comments: