Wednesday, October 1, 2008

RNC Protest

RNC Protest
9/1/2008
Location: Downtown Saint Paul, MN

Although the Republican National Committee happened a few weeks ago, it was an important experience for myself and other first years who had just arrived on campus a few days before. From anarchists to war veterans to college students, thousands of protesters marched the streets outside the Republican National Convention. Different races, sexualities, genders, nationalities/ethnicities, and socio-economic classes were present. Most were protesting the war and bashing McCain and Bush, while coming up with witty chants and phrases. One of my favorite chants was one that bashed Fox News and demanded peace. 
Powerful images were strewn about the protest. A couple of people dragged "bodies" of dead soldiers and politicians through the streets and there were free speech pens, globes, and peace signs galore. Although I did not agree with some of the displays people had, I think that many of these images made good points about the war's destruction of life and the need for change. I also noticed many gay rights activists marching for equality. However, beyond Code Pink present at the event, I felt as if there were not as many people protesting the need for women's rights and equality of the sexes. From my perspective, most of the protesters at the RNC were peaceful and respectful towards the police officers and fellow protesters present.
The media was a powerful presence at the this protest. Many were filming the militant anarchists and loud "angry" college students. Later on the television, I saw footage of angry rioters slashing tires and acting reckless. The media became a powerful tool, that warped the true sense of the protest and turned into something ugly, crazy, and intimidating. I saw first hand, how the media could take an event's message and completely alter it to suit its own personal agenda and goal. I found this quite disheartening, but it personally helped me look at media sources in a new light. 
I feel that this RNC protest was an important event to start school with and it really changed a lot of my cynical views I had on the government and the war on "terror". Participating in an activist event really empowered me and I can only feel more optimistic about America's future. This was a great way to organize a group of people to voice opinions and get thoughts across. 

No comments: